Cast of the Delphi CharioteerOn display
Contact us about this object
Cast of the Delphi Charioteer
Date2nd half of the 19th century
Material and technique
plaster, painted black and green
Dimensions180 cm estimated (height)
No. of items
Museum locationGround floor | Gallery 14 | Cast Gallery
Our online collection is being continually updated. Find out more
Delphi, Archaeological Museum, inv. 3484, 3520, 3540.
Found in the northwest area of the sanctuary of Apollo at Delphi, Greece. Excavated between 28 April and 9 May 1896 under a modern house built over an ancient terrace wall that was erected in the second half of the 4th century BC.
Statue of a charioteer, barefoot, wearing long chiton girded high. He is clean-shaven with short hair held by fillet. The statue was part of a chariot group, with his right hand holding the reins, parts of which are preserved. Lips and eyes were added in different materials. Part of a base found with the statue, generally thought to belong to it, carries an inscription stating that the dedicator was the Sicilian tyrant Polyzalos (son of Deinomenes), who would have won the chariot race at Delphi in either 478 or 474, or in both years.
Painted black and green to imitate colour of original.
In: Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)
Chamoux,F, L’Aurige. FdD 4.5 (paris, 1955)
Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)