Cast of a bronze head of Nero

Details

  • Catalogue text

    London, British Museum, inv. P&EE 1965.12-1 1.

    Found in 1907 at the river Alde at Rendham near Saxmundham in Suffolk, England.

    Perhaps from the temple of Claudius at Colchester (ancient Camulodunum). Bought by the British Museum in 1965. Formerly in Rendham, collection of Mr. E.R. Hollond, from which the BM had the head on loan for some time before purchasing it.

    Head from portrait statue of Nero in his second portrait type. The eyes were inlaid in a different material.

    In: Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)

Further reading

Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)

Reference URL

?
q-seffron-icon q-white-icon pluse-seffron-icon pluse-white-icon minus-seffron-icon minus-white-icon close-seffron-icon close-white-icon close-black-icon prv-gry-arrow prv-arrow print-seffron-icon print-black-icon next-arrow next-gry-arrow next-white-arrow up-arrow-black up-arrow black-up-arrow black-down-arrow white-up-arrow white-down-arrow hr-list-gry-icon hr-list-white-icon vr-list-gry-icon vr-list-white-icon eye-icon zoomin-icon zoomout-icon fullview-icon contact-black-icon contact-seffron-icon basket-seffron-icon basket-black-icon share-black-icon share-seffron-icon go-arrow search-white-icon