cast, sculpture

Details

  • Catalogue text

    Pedimental sculptures and metopes from the Temple of Zeus at Olympia, Greece. Classical Greek, begun after 470 BC and finished by 456 BC.

    Olympia Museum, inv. L 72.

    Found in 1880 built into later structures between the Byzantine church and the Palaestra.

    Head from figure of Lapith girl (E), with long wavy hair, grasped by left hand of centaur (D). From the left side of the west pediment.

    Most of the statue is preserved in Olympia.

    In: Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)

Further reading

Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)

Reference URL

?
q-seffron-icon q-white-icon pluse-seffron-icon pluse-white-icon minus-seffron-icon minus-white-icon close-seffron-icon close-white-icon close-black-icon prv-gry-arrow prv-arrow print-seffron-icon print-black-icon next-arrow next-gry-arrow next-white-arrow up-arrow-black up-arrow black-up-arrow black-down-arrow white-up-arrow white-down-arrow hr-list-gry-icon hr-list-white-icon vr-list-gry-icon vr-list-white-icon eye-icon zoomin-icon zoomout-icon fullview-icon contact-black-icon contact-seffron-icon basket-seffron-icon basket-black-icon share-black-icon share-seffron-icon go-arrow search-white-icon