cast, pediment, statue

Details

  • Catalogue text

    Most of the statues were excavated by C. Haller von Hallerstein and C.R. Cockerell in 1811 and subsequently sold to Prince Ludwig of Bavaria.

    Under-life-size statues from the pediments of the temple of Aphaia at Aigina, Greece. Around the time of completion of a first set of pedimental statues (A 40-41), a second set was made (A 28-37, 163) to replace the first, which then seems to have been exhibited on ground level in the neighbourhood of the temple in the sanctuary of Aphaia.

    Munich, Glyptothek, inv. 90.

    From second east pediment. Found in 1811 in the pronaos of the temple.

    Head of beardless male wearing helmet from figure E.IX.

    Parts of the legs are preserved from the figure to which this head is believed to belong.

    In: Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)

Further reading

Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)

Reference URL

?
q-seffron-icon q-white-icon pluse-seffron-icon pluse-white-icon minus-seffron-icon minus-white-icon close-seffron-icon close-white-icon close-black-icon prv-gry-arrow prv-arrow print-seffron-icon print-black-icon next-arrow next-gry-arrow next-white-arrow up-arrow-black up-arrow black-up-arrow black-down-arrow white-up-arrow white-down-arrow hr-list-gry-icon hr-list-white-icon vr-list-gry-icon vr-list-white-icon eye-icon zoomin-icon zoomout-icon fullview-icon contact-black-icon contact-seffron-icon basket-seffron-icon basket-black-icon share-black-icon share-seffron-icon go-arrow search-white-icon