cast, pediment, statue
Contact us about this object
No. of items
Most of the statues were excavated by C. Haller von Hallerstein and C.R. Cockerell in 1811 and subsequently sold to Prince Ludwig of Bavaria.
Under-life-size statues from the pediments of the temple of Aphaia at Aigina, Greece. Around the time of completion of a first set of pedimental statues (A 40-41), a second set was made (A 28-37, 163) to replace the first, which then seems to have been exhibited on ground level in the neighbourhood of the temple in the sanctuary of Aphaia.
Munich, Glyptothek, inv. 85 and 130, and fragments in Archaeological Museum, Aigina.
Most fragments were found in 1811 in front of the east side of the temple.
Statue of dying naked warrior (E.XI) with full beard, wearing helmet, fallen to the ground. He holds a shield with his left arm, and a sword in his right hand (A 31b).
Modern: four fingers of the left hand, the right foot and leg from mid-thigh, four toes of the left foot, and additional minor details. The modern crest of the helmet has been removed from the cast. The original right shank and foot have since been found.
In: Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)
Frederiksen, Rune, and R.R.R. Smith, The Cast Gallery of the Ashmolean Museum: Catalogue of plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculpture (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2011)