Pair of bellowsOn display
Contact us about this object
Bellows appear on household inventories from the early sixteenth century. Silver-mounted hearth furniture can be traced back to the reign of Henry VIII, but the cost of such indulgence limited such items to the very rich. Williamson, the original owner of the Museum's bellows, was a Secretary of State between 1674 and 1678. However, he was apparently a disliked and unscrupulous gentleman.
Pair of bellows
Artist/makerAnonymous British (goldsmith)
Material and technique
Dimensions76 x 25.4 cm overall (length x width)
No. of items
Bequeathed by G.O. Farrer, through the Art Fund, 1946.
Museum locationSecond floor | Gallery 55 | Silver
Our online collection is being continually updated. Find out more
Schroder, Timothy, British and Continental Gold and Silver in the Ashmolean Museum (Oxford, Ashmolean Museum, 2009), 407