The Messiah violin (Messie)

On display

During his lifetime in Cremona, in what is now northern Italy, Antonio Stradivari (1644?–1737) created violins of several patterns that have been much imitated and are still the preferred instruments of many players. This example is the so-called ‘Messiah’ that was made when he was at the height of his powers, making instruments that have never been bettered. It owes its great fame, however, not to the sounds that it makes but to the astonishing condition in which it survives. It is not entirely untouched. The neck was lengthened and the pegs, bridge and tailpiece were added in the 19th century. The varnish, however, is almost unworn, the carving is as crisp as the day it was made and the painted edge-work on the scroll survives intact.

The violin owes its condition to the fact that it has always been a collector’s piece. It was probably initially purchased by a collector, Cozio di Salabue, from one of Stradivari’s sons. In the 1820s Salabue sold it to Luigi Tarisio, a dealer and collector from Piedmont, who kept it in a case in Italy, but boasted of it to his friends in Paris. It was this that earned it the name by which it is now known because, like the Messiah, it was eagerly expected but did not appear. In 1855 it was bought by Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume, a maker and dealer in violins, who kept it in a glass case. It was later bought by the firm W.E. Hills and Sons, to whom the Ashmolean owes its collections of stringed instruments.

Details

  • Title

    The Messiah violin (Messie)

  • Artist/maker

    Antonio Stradivari (c. 1644 - 1737)
    Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume (1798 - 1875)
  • Associated place

    Cremona (place of creation)
  • Date

    1716
    tailpiece 19th century (1801 - 1900)
  • Material and technique

    spruce, maple

  • Object type

  • Dimensions

    back 35.6 cm (length)
    string 32.85 cm (length)
    lower bout, back 20.8 cm (width)
    upper bout, back 16.75 cm (width)
    middle bout, back 10.82 cm (width)
  • No. of items

    2

  • Credit line

    Presented by W.E. Hill and Sons, 1940.

  • Museum location

    Second floor | Gallery 39 | Music and Tapestry
  • Museum department

    Western Art

  • Accession no.

    WA1940.112

  • Our online collection is being continually updated. Find out more

Further reading

Boyden, David D., The Hill Collection of Musical Instruments in the Ashmolean Museum (Oxford/OUP, 1969), 18

Piper, David, and Christopher White, Treasures of the Ashmolean Museum: An Illustrated Souvenir of the Collections, revised edn (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 1995), no. 80 on p. 79, illus. p. 79 fig. 80

Whiteley, Jon, Stringed Instruments: Viols, Violins, Citterns, and Guitars in the Ashmolean Museum, Ashmolean Handbooks (Oxford: Ashmolean Museum, 2008), p.52; pp.56-57, illus. pp.53-55

Cacciatori, Fausto, and Gregg Alf, The Absolute Stradivari the Messie (Fondazione Museo del Violino Antonio Stradivari Cremona, 2016)

Reference URL

?
q-seffron-icon q-white-icon pluse-seffron-icon pluse-white-icon minus-seffron-icon minus-white-icon close-seffron-icon close-white-icon close-black-icon prv-gry-arrow prv-arrow print-seffron-icon print-black-icon next-arrow next-gry-arrow next-white-arrow up-arrow-black up-arrow black-up-arrow black-down-arrow white-up-arrow white-down-arrow hr-list-gry-icon hr-list-white-icon vr-list-gry-icon vr-list-white-icon eye-icon zoomin-icon zoomout-icon fullview-icon contact-black-icon contact-seffron-icon basket-seffron-icon basket-black-icon share-black-icon share-seffron-icon go-arrow search-white-icon